Tuesday 16 November 2010

Rolling for Xmas!

Finally achieved something, or that's what it feels like anyway. After sitting on a load of designs all year, and just putting off and putting off doing anything about them I eventually got some plates made in Auckland at Inline Graphics on the recommendation of Shona from Magpie Press.

In the end I was really pressed for time, and because I am still experimenting with packing and roller height on the Adana, I ended up pulling these cards on the Farley flat bed press. I still used the Boxcar base and polymer plates, but after a bit of trial and error I got things lined up by fixing some furniture to the bed with tape, and using some tracing paper with guide marks to help line things up on the plate.
 
Sheet to help me line up centre of the plate
The tracing paper & furniture positioned to hold A5 cut card ... push go.
The flatbed requires hand rolling of the ink, so it was a little bit messier, and much slower, but the results are pretty good. I even got the hang of masking out the plates for hand inking so I could print some two colour cards in one pass.

Taa da! One Xmas card, made by me.
Next, I did what anyone else does ... I turned the stereo up, locked myself in the room and printed, printed, printed. Naturally there was a bit of an attrition rate, I’m certainly learning to pay attention and not push things so fast that you lose concentration ... especially with the hand inking because I had to be very careful not to ink the base or fringes of the non-exposed polymer. I am stoked with the results though. I must have round 90-100 cards done, probably six designs/variations in all. They ain’t perfect, but not bloody bad for a first crack. And better than the usual hokey snow flake dross we usually have to deal with here in NZ ... I mean, its summertime, Rudolph’s nose is red because its sun burnt.

Below are the results ... and yes, U CAN TOUCH THEM ... THEY ARE FOR SALE - $5 each or 5 for $20. Cards are A6 (105x148mm folded). Each comes with an envelope and sealed in a cellophane bag. All have round cut corners except the Angel design which I thought did not need it. Probably sort a couple of bucks out for any postage, but I won't worry about that unless anyone actually offer to buy any! If anyone is interested, pop me a comment and I will post an email address.

Ham Myrrh Tree - Red

Ham Myrrh Tree - Red & Green

Ye Olde Ham Myrrh - Red & Black

Metal Xmas

Surfing Angel - Gabriel Does Surf

Yuletide Warning

Ye Olde Ham Myrrh - Red & Green

Black Letter Ham Myrrh

The Lot

Thanks for looking
Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment