Tuesday 9 November 2010

When, who, what?

While I was living in London around 2006 I kept seeing more and more amazing letterpress work and became almost obsessed with it. I have worked in graphic design, strapped to a Mac, for over 20 years now, but the better the software gets and the cheaper full colour printing gets ... well, white space and the actual presses just seem increasingly removed from your day-to-day. The simple, clean and tactile nature of letterpress is just too good to ignore.

Coming back to New Zealand in early 2009, I bought with me an Adana 8x5, and a heap of wooden type I had steadily acquired off eBay ... but it sat in the spare room of the flat (hopefully not rusting) for another year or more until the missus and I purchased a house. Since then, I've also scoured Trade Me (NZ's own eBay) to acquire an Adana HQ press, and a Farley table top proof press.

Now, in the spare room, nearly two years of procrastination has ended and I have finally got printing after a few false starts. Said false starts included some simple table number cards from my wedding earlier this year, and the thank you cards I did post-nuptials.

The Farley Table Top press

Tests for the Thank you cards ... Thanks with a X, mwah.

The messy play room. Adana 8x5 patiently waiting.

1 comment:

  1. Just found your site :) That Farley press looks awesome. Looking forward to seeing more prints with it!

    ReplyDelete